Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Offense rather than defense.

I tweeted recently that when I went to the attorney's office to finish my power of attorney things they asked me what the difference between the service and the Peace Corps was. I replied, "the army shoots people". Quickest way I could think of to respond and in simplest terms.

But this made me think more, I think what we are doing is an offensive approach to the situation in the world. We're making peace happen with people in other countries rather than a defensive approach of combating them due to conflict. We're working ahead to prevent such methods. If I really love this I want to keep going with it. I feel strongly that preventive rather than reactive methods should be increased. That is obviously not the simplest solution. It takes certain types of people to do this.

Same as it takes certain types of people to be in the service. I in no way at all discredit what any branch does, I myself had considered it. However, I think I'm a little too crazy to be reigned in. Lunch yesterday, had Greek coffee which is actually fairly good when you get through the gross film on top and not drink the sludge at the bottom. Really got me all hyped up, started scaring my new friends early on. They created a term for the energy, my t-rex mode. HA!

The service is just as needed as the corps. My brother in law is a Major and Kara was a Captain, I have great reverence for what they have done and are doing. I merely desire that more is done on the peace end.

I love that in staging they said, "you don't have to explain to anyone else why you're here." Oh thank you. We have to explain to everyone else, thank you for the break. We all get it. We know why we're here. Perhaps I explained part of my reasoning above.

I love these people. I think I scare people off though. Trying to tone back my natural desire to become besties with everyone. We went out in Georgetown last night. Oh btw, I love Georgetown. I would really like to live here some day maybe. First stop was an Indian restaurant where I got to know Brenna, Lisa, Meagan, and Maayan better. Such amazing people. Maayan has like 4 majors graduated same time as me and has been working at a labor law firm. Lived in Israel half her life, speaks like 3 languages and is completely beautiful.

Getting here was fun, ha. Stayed at Mark and Sara's last night. Love them, what great people to aspire to be like. I was feeling before I left very... reserved. Not much like myself. I think being home does that to me though. My mother is very forward and my father is reserved, I fall into being more hidden. They cooked an amazing steak lunch for me with green beans and bacon, packet potatoes, and grilled salted red and yellow peppers.

A quick survey of everyone makes me pretty sure I've been at this the longest. I've been working to get into the PC since January 2009, that's 26 months for my 27 months of training and service.

After the Indian restaurant, which again was delicious, thank you Sean for ordering for the group. Really, made it so easy. Brenna and I showed up late, were worried there wasn't room for us and that we were undesired and should go else where. Another great thing, my roomie is awesome. We get along very well. We've already made an anti mean girls pact.

We went to another more.. country ish bar. Lots of Americana, as we are nearly in DC. Made some calls to besties- Em and V. Great talks, I can't remember now as I was a few drinks in but not to the point of remembering events just not all the details. Guess I told Kip, one of the guys in the group that I was in health education repeatedly. That's false, what silliness. Drinking needs to decrease and it will. Many people are talking about how it's inappropriate for women to be at bars in Albania and also they get to go to coffee less than the men do.

I'm missing out on touring DC right now because I needed to get postage for the package to send back my phone in... but it gives me time to write this. I just want everything to work out well. I gots to calm it back a bit, not be as much me, to a degree. Who I am in the US can't be the same in Albania.

After bar 2 we started walking back and then they all wanted to go to a hookah bar. Some how I went along. Dunno why, I enjoy yet highly dislike hookah. I don't think I've ever had such a strong hookah before. It was really quite fun to get the experience but it makes me ill as I'm not used to nicotine. I never never smoke cigarettes any more, or at least to a very very small degree. I'm usually the person that takes the cigarette out of peoples hands and puts them out. I don't like to see the people I love venturing out on what I know is such a slow, deadly endeavor. I've seen the after effects repeatedly in my family, don't want anyone to go through that. We also had some lovely tea, but I was really not feeling well. It hit me pretty bad.

Be safe, behave, don't make a fool of yourself Casey. Understand your limits. Do well. Finish this blog, write Jake an email, take a shower, pack, and get ready. :) LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment