Saturday, March 12, 2011

Small things, stitched together, add up.

I'm in this awkward place in my life where I can't do things. I can't create anything right now because I can't take it with me and I don't have enough time to make it here. But I feel so inspired, so I'll blog about it and get back to when I can.

Two cool things. Quilting and Carnival Wedding.
Quilting for a cause. I've never really sewn anything. I created a crappy dress and a big pillow case basically for a comforter and then the past gallery show. But I'd really like to create things, obviously from cast off items. Stumbled upon, through etsy of course, a book called Quilting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time.

"The act of piecing a patchwork quilt is both utterly practical and powerfully symbolic. It's an act of reclaiming, saving, mending, and unifying. The result, the quilt itself, solves a basic problem- the need for warmth- but it represents much more: the quiltmaker's resourcefulness, wishes, and fierce opinion: an attempt to make something beautiful out of what otherwise might have been wasted and a desire to make some kind of peace."

And carnival wedding. Ya, I'd really like to do this. With a swing ride! http://www.etsy.com/storque/handmade-life/handmade-weddings-ticket-to-ride-11271/

No comments:

Post a Comment